Creative Structural Designer- Elmira, NY
FM Howell and Company is currently looking for a Creative Structural Designer for our HQ location. Qualified applicants will have completed undergraduate or graduate degrees in Industrial Design or Packaging Sciences and have at least 4 years of professional experience in product and packaging design with commercial successes. The designer will use a mix of creative visualization skills, design thinking, and commercial awareness to design and implement innovative paperboard packaging solutions for new and existing customers in a manufacturing environment. This position will require the individual to interact with an interdisciplinary team of internal graphic designers, systems and machinery engineers, business development team members, market and product managers, manufacturing and quality assurance personnel, key supplier partners, as well as customers for successful execution of design concepts.
Responsibilities: (include but not limited to)
- Uses an Industrial design process to develop creative packaging solutions, specifications, and production parameters that align to design objectives and design brief.
- Designs and develops creative packaging concepts for commercialization.
- Works with an interdisciplinary team of Marketing & Innovation, Sales, Business Development and/or customers.
- Uses 2d and 3d conceptualization techniques
- Develops pro-active alternative designs for better form & function, on shelf appearance, sustainability, increased production efficiency, cost savings and/or margin improvement.
- Provide project leadership for Innovation & Design oriented new product developments working in conjunction with related groups and components to complete development processes
- Works within our Innovation & Design process, and project management system to organize and manage workflow across multiple design initiatives.
- Specify & prepare carton design detail for, and participate in, ethnographic research initiatives, and consumer focus groups, working closely with the Marketing & Innovation Team as well as Business Development teams at all times.
- Specify, participate and/or lead product development brainstorming sessions with key
- Develop in-depth relationships with key customer product development contacts. Effectively manage customer relationships/expectations, and work alone with customer contacts.
- Function as an effective leader and focal point for design-related detail and general communication for responsible product line or subject matter expertise. Contribute to / produce presentations and other promotional materials to support New Product Development process, and Carton Design.
- Interface and collaborate with other designers and team members along with Systems & Machinery engineers when developing new carton designs.
- Fully develop & apply design-related documentation, process detail, specifications, CAD design standards and intellectual property protection processes for responsible product line.
- Understand and effectively apply test procedures for validating performance of packages and features under development. Accurately finalize design specifications prior to release for converting and machinery organizations. Possible attendance at machinery check-out testing, or other design validation testing events, to assess, modify or approve carton designs as necessary for responsible product line.
- Manage/coordinate sample production & specialized testing/validation events to support developments.
- Manage/coordinate 3rd party vendors contributing services or materials to support carton developments.
- Produce or coordinate graphic renderings to support structural design developments.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to meet the expected result of each job responsibility. Additionally, employee must be open to change, self-motivated, well organized, highly trustworthy, ethical, develop positive working relationships with colleagues and be able to maintain a professional attitude and appearance at all times. This position may require travel (range of travel none to 5/6 times per year, commensurate with role and / or customer expectations)
- Degree in Packaging Design strongly preferred. Will consider related disciplines or other design areas where execution of concepts has been accomplished.
- 1-4 years prior experience in successful product development with multiple commercial successes.- desired
- Understand the product development cycle
- Have an eagerness to understand our client's manufacturing capabilities and how these can be leveraged throughout our design work
- Comprehends the technical connection between visual and functional design elements
- Experience developing consumer products in a corporate environment with strong visual (2D and 3D) skills, communications, conceptual skills, attention to detail, design sensitivity as well as mechanical aptitude.
- Applicants must have the ability to manage multiple projects from concept to production while maintaining a high degree of design excellence.
- Experience in industry product testing/validation.
- An awareness of current market trends in all mediums of consumer packaging and the ability to apply that knowledge to the design process.
- Carton Design CAD experience, preferably with Artios CAD.
- Experience & understanding of converting processes.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Power Point and Word
- Bachelor's Degree preferably in Packaging Design.
- 1-4 years structural design experience is desired, preferably in the folding carton and/or thermoforming industry.
- Utilizes current design technology and computer software and hardware mediums to develop designs to meet customer needs. Creating, revising and approving package designs. Retaining electronic and paper records of packaging designs. Produce corrugated stock samples; maintain inventory and recording keeping of inventory. Coordinates with graphics. Develops relationships with plant management supervisors and machine operators. Support Sales efforts through joint calls, customer location tours or on-site visits. Works closely with plant management, supervisors and customer service. Provides instructions or directly assembles and prepares final layouts for sales, production or vendor. Basic knowledge of machine capabilities and limitations. Maintains and troubleshoots computer system.
- Create packaging solutions to increase profitability, market share and competitive advantage. Position impacts the business ROI by developing design solutions that impact corrugators’ trim ability, converting machine efficiencies and customer satisfaction. Must liaison with internal technical organizations, lead design organization, national accounts, sales, customer service, manufacturing, management and customers. Specific to this Structural Designer role is working with National Accounts and key customers in hands on - on site design needs.
- As an active member of the sales organization this position exists to provide effective solutions to exceed customer needs and expectations. This position is responsible to creatively approach the challenges brought forth to provide solutions that not only meet the expected criteria but also ensures effective plant productivity and profitability.
Qualified applicants please contact Tom Weber at email@example.com