International Design Excellence Awards 2017:
The International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA)®—is a premier international design competition sponsored annually by the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) and judged by renowned design experts from around the world. Top IDEA winners are featured in IDSA's INNOVATION Magazine: Yearbook of Design Excellence; IDSA.org; and global media outreach.
DUE March 17, 2017
Benefits of Winning
IDEA winners receive significant, international publicity and exposure. Read winner testimonials here. In contrast to many other design awards, most of the associated perks of winning an IDEA are included with your entry fee. In addition to our media partners' announcements of the winners, print and online media publicize IDEA winners' stories each year. IDSA's annual Yearbook of Design Excellence, featuring in-depth coverage of the Gold winners and a complete listing of all honorees, is distributed to an international audience of design and business executives.
- Publicity–International press exposure of close to 500,000 views
- Yearbook of Design Excellence–inclusion in and copy of this keepsake
- Trophies for Gold, Silver and Bronze winners
- IDEA Gallery online–attracting more than 3,000 page views/month and featuring a new SEARCH function, making it easier to find winning products
- A selection of IDEA winners showcased in an exhibit at The Henry Ford
- Winning products become part of the permanent collection of The Henry Ford Museum
- License to display IDEA winner logo on the website, packaging, advertising and merchandising materials of the winning product
IDEA judging is based on the following criteria for design excellence. A winning design meets most of these criteria in a positive manner, category dependent.
- Design Innovation - How is this design unique or innovative compared to other designs in this category?
- User Experience - How does this design deliver a simple, intuitive or delightful user experience?
- Benefit to the Client - How does this design improve the client or manufacturer's profitability, brand reputation, employee morale, etc.?
- Benefit to Society - How does this design benefit the greater good; consider society, the environment, culture, the economy, etc.?
- Appropriate Aesthetics - The judges will use the provided visual materials (photos and optional video) to assess this category dependent criteria.
- Early Bird Entry Period – Dec. 1, 2016 – Jan. 2, 2017
- Regular Entry Period – Jan. 3 – March 3
- Late Entry Period – Mar. 4 – Mar. 17
- Online Jurying – Mar. 22 – Apr. 7
- Finalists notified – Week of Apr. 10