ABOUT THE COURSE
The paper segment of the global containers and packaging market is the most lucrative, boasting a 40% market share of revenue. From Fortune 500 brands to emerging startups, paperboard is a top-used packaging substrate. It's no wonder because paperboard has amazing graphics and printing capabilities, a high degree of sustainability, and enhanced usability. As a packaging designer, marketer, converter, or supply chain manager it is beneficial to understand the ins and outs of paperboard in order to produce the best carton possible. This eLearning course will focus on helping you understand the foundations of paperboard packaging from sourcing raw materials to the finished good. This understanding will serve as an important context for your future advancement, on your own and in your company.
- Navigation Tutorial
- Evolution of Paperboard
- Industry Overview
- Paperboard Packaging Potential
- Paperbaord Packaging Types
- Paperboard Cartons Orientation- Let's get to know each other
- Paperboard Manufacturing Introduction
- Manufacturing Paperboard
- Pulping Process
- Papermaking Process
- Paper vs. Paperboard
- Surface Coatings and Treatments
- Knowledge Check: Paperboard Manufacturing
- Introduction to Paperboard Grades
- Overview of Paperboard Grades
- Uncoated Recycled Boxboard (UCRB)
- Bending Chip Board (Uncoated)
- Clay-Coated Recycled Board (CRB)
- Solid Bleached Sulfate/Board (SBS)
- Uncoated Solid Bleached Sulfate (Uncoated SBS)
- Solid Unbleached Sulfate (SUS)
- Uncoated Unbleached Kraft (UUK)
- Folding Boxboard (FBB)
- Paperboard Grades Cheat Sheet
- Knowledge Check: Paperboard Grades
- Open-ended Questions
- Open-ended Answer
Properties and Testing
- Introduction to Properties and Testing
- Testing Standards
- Physical/Performance Properties
- Sustainability in Paperboard
- Knowledge Check: Properties and Testing
- Paperboard Styles
- Overview of Styles
- Miscellaneous Carton Styles
- Design Inspiration Flipbook
- Tube Selector
- Tray Selector
- Board Caliper Matrix
- Structural Design
- Printing on Paperboard
- Print Selector Stategy
- Designing a Carton
Procurement & Production
- Ready for Order
- Supplier Qualifications
- Die Cutting and Die Making
- Supplier Database
- Carton Cost Calculator
- Wrap Up
- Final Exam
- Quick Survey
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- An overview of the paperboard industry and its evolution to the potential of the various packaging types today.
- An understanding of the complete manufacturing process of converting raw materials to a substrate with coatings and treatments.
- Identification of paperboard grades and their specific applications.
- The evaluation of various properties of paperboard and how they contribute to a structure that passes testing standards and sustainability guidelines.
- Inspiration for selecting paperboard styles designed, printed and finished with maximum consumer appeal.
- Work with suppliers to bring to life the paperboard carton you envision.
WHAT YOU'LL GET FOR $399
Enroll Today and Gain Immediate Access for 12 Months!